Creating stunning edible decorations is now even easier with with our new range of Ready-tempered Isomalt now available from our cake decorating,decorations and cupcake supplies shop.
Isomalt is a sugar-free alternative that is ideal for making decorative biscuit centres, pulled sugar work and moulded decorations that you simply melt in a microwave. For decorative biscuit centres, simply cut the desired shape out of the centre of each biscuit, then bake in the oven as normal. Once fully baked, remove the biscuits from the oven, pour a small amount of melted isomalt into each centre and leave to cool.
Our range of Isomalt comes in bright colours: Yellow, Orange, Red, Pink, Blue, Green and Purple, as well as Gold Sparkle and Silver Sparkle to add shimmer to your creations.
Isomalt is a sugar substitute which is safe for the teeth and has 50% less calories than table sugar. Isomalt has a melting point of 145°C to 150°C and is pre-tempered so it can be easily melted in the microwave.
When working with liquid Isomalt remember to take great care as it can cause serious burns. For this reason, Isomalt should not be used by children.
How to use Ready-tempered Isomalt
- Place the desired amount of isomalt blossoms into a microwaveable container that can withstand temperatures of over 180°C (e.g. a ceramic, silicone or heat-resistant glass bowl) and place in a microwave.
- Melt in 30-second increments until the isomalt becomes fluid. Make sure to check the isomalt after each increment and do not heat for longer than 30 seconds at a time.
- Carefully remove the isomalt from the microwave using ovenproof gloves
- The isomalt will be extremely hot.
- Stir and wait for the bubbling to stop then slowly pour into the desired container or mould. Alternatively you can pour onto a heatproof flat surface and work it with kitchen utensils or, once cool enough, your hands.
- To make the surface smoother or to smooth any rough edges, sweep a crème brûlée torch over any isomalt that has touched the mould.
For creating larger pieces, we recommend using our larger packs of SK Isomalt.
Using silicone or metal moulds
- Melt the isomalt as per the instructions and wait for the liquid to stop bubbling.
- Place the mould onto the baking tray and gently pour the solution into the mould. If more than one colour is required, pour one colour into part of the mould and allow to set. Pour the other colour in, ensuring that it completely attaches to the first colour.
- Leave until cold, then remove from mould. If the isomalt sets in the microwaveable container or a piece has not set as required, it can be re-melted and used again.
- Store smaller pieces in an airtight container with silica gel sachets.
Making sugar baskets and spinning sugar
- Follow the method as for silicone moulds for bringing the isomalt to temperature.
- Lightly grease the outside of a ladle.
- Allow a fine strand to fall off the end of a spoon and form a trellis or other lacy pattern over the back of the ladle. When completely set, carefully remove the sugar basket from the ladle.
- The basket can then be filled with ice cream or other dessert. Serve immediately as the basket will start to dissolve.
- The isomalt solution can also be piped, but great care needs to be taken when doing this. Use triple layers of silicone paper piping bags, do not overfill the bag, and ensure that the open ends of the bag are folded down so that the solution cannot spill out of the bag. Wear heavy-duty rubber gloves, a protective apron and covered shoes when doing this and as a safety precaution, wrap the piping bag in a tea towel before beginning to pipe.
- It is also possible to create spun sugar by quickly spinning a very fine strand of the liquid isomalt onto a lightly-greased baking tray. This can then be gathered up and placed on top of a dessert for a stunning effect.
For inspiring ideas, there are many silicone moulds in the SK Great Impressions range which work well with Isomalt. The fairies look fantastic and the jewel mould makes excellent edible gems. Click here to see cake decorating moulds in our Great Cake Decorating section.
Check out our new range of gravity celebration cakes.
Loving Everything To Do With Cake decorations,Cake Decorating And Cupcake Supplies!