Our lemon cupcake recipe is absolutely delicious and perfect for tea parties or a refreshing delightful alternative to a traditional wedding cake! We have lots of ingredients, tools and kitchen equipment at our cake decorating shop Solihull and also available to order from our online cake decorating and cake decorations shop.
A new range of products we have recently added to our range of food flavourings, are our range of Foodie Flavours.
- 120g plain flour
- 150g caster sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest, plus extra to decorate
- 40g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 120ml whole milk
- 1 egg
- 250g icing sugar, sifted
- 80g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest a couple of drops of yellow food colouring (optional)
- 25ml whole milk
1. Preheat the oven to 170oC (325 oF) Gas Mark 3.
2. Put the flour, sugar, baking powder, lemon zest and butter in a free standing
electric mixer with a paddle attachment (or use a hand held whisk) and
beat on slow speed until you get a sandy consisitency and everything is
combined. Gradually pour in the milk and beat until just incoporated.
3. Add the egg to the flour mixture and continue beating until just incorporated
(scrape any unmixed ingredients from the side of the bowl with a rubber
spatula). Continue mixing for a couple more minutes until the mixture is
smooth. Do not overmix.
4. Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until two thirds full and bake in the
preheated oven for 20 – 25 minutes, or until the sponge bounces back when
touched. A skewer inserted in the centre should come out clean. Leave the
cupcakes to cool slightly in the tray before turning out onto a wire cooling
rack to cool completely.
5. For the lemon frosting: Beat together the icing sugar, butter lemon zest and
food colouring. The longer the frosting is beaten, the fluffier and lighter it
6. When the cupcakes are cold, spoon the lemon frosting on the top and
decorate with a little lemon zest.
Lemon is a great flavour for a vintage inspired tea party or for a refreshing summer flavour in a wedding cake.
Loving Everything To Do With Cake Baking!